Your Police Department Proudly serving the residents of the Town of Cicero, NY
Identity theft is a common term used to describe a situation in which someone steals you name, social security number, credit card numbers, bank account information or any other information without your permission to commit a crime.
Preventing the theft of your identity is important however, the reality is that anyone could be a victim with today’s technology. To minimize your chances of becoming a victim it is suggested that you take some precautions:
- Never give personal information over the phone unless you initiate the call.
- Do not write your pin numbers or social security numbers on items in your purse or wallet.
- Use a shredder to discard pre-approved credit applications, account statements, and other vital mail.
- Do not respond to unsolicited emails asking for verification of personal information.
- Do not give personal information in response to unsolicited phone calls claiming you have won a prize or lottery.
- Do not write your credit card number on a personal check when making a payment. Write only the last four numbers.
- Review your monthly credit account statements and credit reports for unauthorized purchases.
Immediate steps if you are a victim
- Place a fraud alert on your credit report by calling 1-800-680-7289.
- Contact banks or credit card companies and close all compromised accounts.
- Contact your local police with as much documentation as possible.
- File a complaint with the FTC by accessing the website at www.ftc.gov or call 1-877-IDTHEFT.
- Retain emails, phone messages, or suspect documentation to assist the police in their investigation.If checks have been stolen or used have “stop payments” put on them and close the accounts.